Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Tuesday Tell All- My Favorite Children's Books

I had to think about this topic for awhile. I have way, way too many children's book to even go through. We have a bookshelf by the computer, two downstairs in the guest bedroom and countless boxes of books I didn't even get around to unpacking a year ago when we moved in. I guess that what happens when you teach school and you are addicted to book orders. Those things are like Christmas shopping for me. I get out my pen and start circling away, so many things to choose from at such a great price!

As for my favorites, I have to make a small list because there are many different varieties of children's books and certain books were important to me at different periods of my life.

The first books I remember owning were a Disney's Cinderella picture book, a nursery rhyme book I got when we lived in Salt Lake City and kept on my bed and Horton Hatches the Egg By Dr. Seuss that my Grandpa and Grandma Nance gave to me for my birthday one year.


But my favorite book as a child was a very special Disney book that Santa left us one night before Christmas. Greg and I were in brushing our teeth when we heard jingle bells and rushed into the family room and found a beautiful golden book that contained most of the Disney stories. This was before videos and the Disney movies only came to theaters every few years. This was such a treat and I loved having my parents read to us from it. I came across one as an adult and had to buy it. I have it tucked away so the kids don't destroy it. It just brings back happy memories of my childhood.
My Grandma and Grandpa Nance had many books in their toy closet and I would pick a few and have Grandma read them to me when we would come over to visit. My favorite of her collection was McElligot's Pool by Dr. Seuss. I loved thinking about how far this little pool went and what you can find in this great big world. I also loved reading her book Fish Out of Water by Helen Palmer and P. D. Eastman. I think I may have used the line a time or two when referring to amount to feed our Betta, "Just a pinch, no more, no less!"

When I was in elementary school the two chapter books I always tried to check out from our school library were Ellen Tebbits by Beverly Clearly and Otherwise Known as Shelia the Great by Judy Blume. I don't know how many times I read these two books. I bought them as an adult and re-read them and while it was fun to read, they just weren't as great as I remembered them as a child, but they were magical to me in my youth when I read them time and time again.

In between my sixth and seventh grade year my parents and older brother went on a trip to New York City. I had read the book From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Franweiler by E.L. Konigsburg. This was the first time I read a book and realized that I had actually been to the place where the book was supposed to take place. That made the book real and alive. I had a new appreciation for fiction. And who isn't intrigued with the idea of hiding out in a museum?

As for books I love to read to my children. I have a few. I just can't narrow it down. Like I said I was going to compile a small list so here goes. I love Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse and Julius The Baby of the World by Kevin Henkes. I think I first read them when I was in the elementary education program at BYU. These two books made me laugh out loud and I knew I was going to read them to my own kids when they came along.

I love the book Tops and Bottoms by Janet Stevens. This has a great teaching message and it's funny too. You can never be too clever!

In the category of mystery/puzzle solving books I love The Eleventh Hour by Graeme Base. This book took my forever to figure out because each page has some seriously hard clues. It's one that makes your mind work overtime. Thankfully there is an answer key in the back just in case you can't crack the codes!

I love The Spider and The Fly by Mary Howitt and Tony DiTerlizzi. It has the most beautiful illustrations and can be used to teach your children about stranger danger.


I already did a post about Enemy Pie by Derek Munson. This is a great book for all kids and ages and it is my new favorite book in the past few years.


My favorite children's picture book for Christmas is an easy one. I absolutely love The Christmas Extravaganza by David Shannon. I love the art and the story. This is a must read during the holiday season. As many of you know I do love to decorate for the holidays, every holiday that is!



Well, the list could go on, but I had better make myself stop. I warned you, I do love books! I could still go on about books my dad loved and read to us (The Hobbit) and books I couldn't live without (Harry Potter) but I will stop with two last thoughts.


Thanks to Marcie and Sally for coming up with this little Tuesday Tell All. It will be fun to answer various questions each week. Gread idea!


And I have to say thanks to Amazon.com for all the pictures. I am amazed at the huge selection of books they have. I can remember way back to the dark ages BEFORE the Internet and wonder how we found anything. Between EBay and Amazon you can buy anything you can think of. These two sites, plus IMDB.com and good old Google, make every question answerable and that makes me happy!


Happy reading to all!!!

3 comments:

Marcie said...

Love your choices! Few people know about Christmas Extravaganza- my favorite that I read to my students. Oh the decoration posssibilities.

What would fifth grade girls do without Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume.

I too, think of book orders as one of my "happy thoughts".

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

Hi
Kari's favorite book is still "the mixed up files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler."
And Lily and Julius are two of our all time favorites... Kari used to think she was "Lilly" when she was little.
If you like goofy books the "hallo weiner" is really funny. About a weiner dog on Halloween.

Sally said...

So many fun books! I am getting on Amazon tonight and adding to my collection! I can't wait. I am especially excited for Christmas Extravaganza! So fun-thanks for playing along!