Tuesday, January 11, 2011

New Year's Eve


I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE New Year's Eve.  I never feel a let down after Christmas because I know December 31st is just around the corner.

It was always a big deal holiday with the Nance family.  When my dad was young his family would play Tripoley together.  As they got older, they never went out with friends on New Years but invited their friends to their home to play Tripoley.

My father carried on the tradition with us.  First it was a small affair with just my siblings.  Over the years it grew to a huge party and we often had three our four additional families join us to play.  They too loved our tradition.

In fact, the Swensons, who came every year, gave me my own Tripoley set at my wedding shower.  It couldn't have been a more perfect gift.

Usually we feast on shrimp, make sandwiches, or BBQ ribs then snack on Christmas candies and goodies once the game begins. 

The chips have no monetary value, but the poker betting can get fierce and bidding wars are not uncommon.  It's high stakes drama when Tripoley begins and your paying hearts get skipped and you don't get to collect from the board.  It's pure FUN, FUN, FUN!

Rich and the kids fell in love with my family's tradition and we happily carried it on this year here in Cincinnati.  We gobbled up Papa John pizza.  Wore fancy hats and our table boasted bowls full of yummy munchy foods.  The boys were old enough to play their own hands and we called my parents in Utah throughout the night to get an update on how their game was playing out.

Midnight brought the ball drop in Times Square (that one thing I was desperately miss when we live in Utah- being on Eastern Standard Time!!!!), hugs and kisses and a mad dash outside to watch fireworks, burn sparklers and give a proper welcome to the new year. 

HAPPY 2011!!!!




















5 comments:

Jana said...

We really wish we had been there to celebrate with you guys. This was my first New Year's in the Nance family without the Jacksons. :) Miss you all! Good job Matt!

Anonymous said...

Fun traditions!! I need to learn that game.
I just spend an hour reading all the blog posts you just did. Holy Moly. You guys have had some fun! Too bad none of that fun included your Lexington friends. :)
Thanks for the call today. We miss you!!

Jen said...

Cheryl your Christmas looked so nice. I miss Newport, and what a fun New years tradition. I have never even heard of that game. Good luck with your soon to be move and new life in Utah. We'll be there a year later. We need to get together for sure. You, Steph and I!! You are wonderful!

Ashlee said...

What a fun night!!!!

Stephanie said...

So much fun. I remember playing Tripoley growing up too! See you in the summer, it will be so fun to be back home!