Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Straight from their mouth....

We were racing toward Westlake High School while the snow steadily fell and the wind howled.  All the door seemed to be locked and we needed to get inside for Josh's basketball game.  Finally, on our last possible entry, Matt spied a rock wedged into the door.   He pulled the door open wide for us all and declared, "Saved by minerals!"  So true.

We were waiting for our receipt in the bank drive thru when the teller asked if there was anything else I needed.  My kids piped up, suckers!  I asked for three.  The man inquired, "Do you want all the same color?"  "Any would do", I replied.  "So, you want like one really great tasting sucker and then a couple of crappy flavors?"  I just had to laugh.  When do you hear a question like that?  Quickly I responded, "Sounds perfect."

The girls were helping me take down our Valentine's decor and helping me dig out our St. Patrick's Day things.  When I came upstairs Brynn was rummaging through the craft drawer.  I asked what she was doing.  "Well, since Heart Day is over, I need to draw something green for Clover Day."  Looks like we've got those holidays down pat over at our house.

An older Kindergarten teacher at our school had fallen ill in the fall.  She had been hospitalized for months and passed away last week from a chronic illness.  Kaitlyn came home and told me the sad news that Mrs. Anderson had died.  "Mom, it's okay.  She was really, really sick and really, really old.  She was like, 33."

You never enjoy waking up to your kids yelling, "Mom, Zach just took off his diaper and peed on the floor" or "Mom, Zach just threw a light bulb at his wall and it exploded huge!" or "Mom, Zach just squished white toothpaste (aka A&D ointment) all over the floor" or "Mom, Zach just colored all over his wall with deodorant" or "Mom, we are out of chocolate milk, Eggos and white bread" all in the same morning because starvation might actually occur. No wonder there are days I'm not sure if getting out of bed is really a good idea.

After a birthday treat of a pedicure with Kristi and Marcie, my girls were wrapped up in the pamper yourself idea.  Brynn happily declared, "Mom, I can't wait to have a spa day with you and get a mani-pedi. It will be so fun and people will think we are sisters because we look like twins."  So many crazy and scary things going on in that sentence, especially since she is FIVE.  Where in the world did she learn the term mani-pedi?

We were driving home from swim team practice when Matt overheard Brynn call Zach "her sweetheart."  Matt didn't think that was an appropriate thing to say.  "Brynn, really, he can't be your boyfriend.  We don't live in ancient Egypt where it's fine to marry your brother."

We were rushing around getting all our things packed for our trip down to St. George.  Brynn was begging to take her sparkly, but large Ariel suitcase.  I didn't think we would have room for individual bags.  Kaitlyn was on my side.  "My, she can't take it with us.  It is Gi-Man-Tor!!"

As I headed out the door today, Rich's words echoed in my head.  "This will be Josh's 51st basketball game since he started playing last fall." I didn't realize Josh had joined the NBA.  I think I want part of his commission since I am his agent/chauffeur/laundry lady/and #1 fan.  Can't believe soccer starts next Wednesday= 3 soccer games, 1or 2 baseball game(s) every Saturday + swim 3 times a week, basketball twice a week, ballet, YM, scouts and soon to be piano lessons.  Rich said it best, "Remember the add: Calgon, Take Me Away!"  Too bad he was referring to the disasters the kids made in the house on Saturday night instead of our insane schedule.  I have to say, I agree with him!

My mom and I were walking through the mall when I waved hello to a woman that was leaving a store.  My mom asked if she was in my ward.  "No," I replied.  "She works at my Wal-mart."  Glad to know some things never change.

No comments: