Friday, September 30, 2011

Coming Home

The kids were outside on the deck shucking corn chattering together about their day.  The bread was baking in the oven.  The iPod was playing softly in the background.  I was slicing watermelon.  The sunlight's warm glow filled the room.  The green glorious mountains were there, breathtaking as the first day I saw them.  Rich was on his way home from work.  Zach was playing with the measuring cups and begging to help. 

Right then and there I stopped, frozen in time, vowing to never forget the moment.  Feeling what I had longed for for oh so long.  Peace.  Contentment.  Joy.

Everything just felt so right.  Everything had seemingly fallen into place and I knew that I exactly where I wanted to be.  Forever.

I have to admit.  This didn't just happen.  It was clear back on August 23, the first day of school.  After my last few posts, one might have imaged that life had been a complete uphill battle since we moved, but that's not the case.

Highs and lows, just like everyone else.

Fast forward to September 26.  Trey's 12th (gasp!) birthday.  At the spur of the moment I decided to text our entire families and the Hamiltons and invite them over for cake and ice cream that evening.  A few hours later, the sun was setting, the night was warm and lovely and our backyard was brimming with activity.  Cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents and dear friends talked, laughed, ate apples and pears from the trees, tossed football, pushed kids on the swings and enjoyed each other's company.  The light from the house was yellow and bright.  You could see streamers and balloons and even a few paintings hung on the walls through the large windows.  I snapped pictures, freely gave out hugs and thanked everyone for coming. 

Again I knew, without a doubt, I was home.  Life was good.  We are blessed.  I have so much to be grateful for and I thanked my lucky starts to be exactly were I was. 

Home has been so many places, so many zip codes and time zones.  Home isn't just bricks and carpet and walls.  It's cherished friendships and happiness.  It's surrounding yourself with those you admire, respect and love.  It's finding great schools, wards and most importantly amazing people.  We found beautiful homes in California, Kentucky, Cincinnati and Utah.  It's finding that place where you know it's right.  Where you can see yourself staying and being really, really happy.  Where peace abounds and joy fills your heart.

After so much change and uncertainty over the past year, it's good to be home once again.  It really is.

No comments: